Saturday, May 26, 2012

My First Experience in the City Council

On Tuesday night, all of the Ivy League Connection students from Hercules congregated in the City Hall for the city council meeting. This experience was nice because I was able to really talk to a lot of the kids from my school who are going to various schools this summer; although my Yale cohort and I are very close, the other students from Hercules, like Rachael Redlo, Frank He, and Kelly Xi, and I don't really mingle much.

I gave a small speech during the city council. I had come prepared for the speech, but as my turn to speak was approaching, I felt less confident about speaking with a script. Therefore, most of my speech was completely impromptu. Although it was not practiced and rehearsed, I really liked my speech and I realized how much Yale has already had an impact on me - before, I was shy to talk in front of a crowd, but I am much more comfortable now because I know that I am going to have to do so a lot in Yale.

After all of the students gave speeches, Mr. Litvin, our Yale chaperon, as well as most of our English teacher, said a few words. His speech was succinct, but it had a lot of substance to it. We also heard two former Ivy League Connection students, Beilul Naizghi and Terilyn Chen, tell everyone about their experiences.

Overall, the City Council meeting was another unique and different experience that I am thankful for attending. It turns out that every single event that is organized by the ILC gives me new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment