Friday, July 20, 2012

Departure's Eve

To be completely frank, I do not feel like I am leaving for Yale in approximately 48 hours. In fact, I feel the buildup to it is stupendously anticlimactic. As to why, I don't really have an answer.

But now I am here, packing, striking off tasks from my To-Do list and making sure everything will be settled for when I come back in three weeks. When I return, I will immediately be thrust into senior year, and I don't plan on entering it without all my affairs in order.

This summer does not feel like summer. But then again, I don't think it really would have. In reality, it feels as if Summer Vacation were somehow made to seem longer than it really is. In between catching up on my reading, my summer classes, journalism camp and my Eagle Project, my schedule has been incredibly hectic. So much so, in fact, that I actually use To-Do lists and schedules now in order to make sure I complete everything I need to. It's a rather random byproduct of being a part of this program, but I have to say I am grateful that I have learned it, as well as discipline. Without it, I would have been dead in the water procrastinating without actually finishing up the reading or the work that I have had to do.

I am really grateful to my parents and my grandparents for being here to support me and understanding the workload. I have had to give up many family nights, outside dinners, and other important activities in order to finish my work. Thankfully, my family has not thought any ill of my having to miss these moments.

I am rather excited to see what Yale has in store for us. I cannot wait to meet the people, to sit in the lectures, and to learn about solving the major problems that threaten us. After reading John Lewis Gaddis's Kennan, I became very intrigued with the process of developing grand strategies, and I hope this is something I will be able to bring back and implement in everyday life.

In the meantime, I will be here, dreaming a little about what lies ahead. Gladly, I won't have to dream too much.

Finally, for those who have helped all of us reach this far, who have deemed us worthy of joining such a prestigious and rigorous program, do not blink for a second. Just watch us run.

No comments:

Post a Comment