Sunday, July 29, 2012

Here We Are


One of our few restrictions here on campus. Not much time for games.
 Here we are.

We toiled, we were exhausted, and we worked long and hard to get this far into the program, to be able to say "I am able to attend Grand Strategies." And now, here we are, ready and waiting to take on the world.

I woke up this morning hardly believing that these were my last few moments at the Omni. I'm happy to say that, for once, I managed to sleep in. It was amazing.

After waking up, packing the last pieces, I had a quick breakfast with the rest of our group and we bid our final farewells to Ms. Kronenberg and Mr. Ramsey. It was great to be able to talk with them while they were out here, and I sincerely hope they had a good flight back home.

We said our own goodbyes to the Omni after packing our bags and heading downstairs to Mr. Litvin's car to unload at John Edwards College. There, we met with Mrs. Willow, one of the two residential college directors. She helped us bring our bags in and sent us to registration.  There, we received our keys, backpacks (complimentary apparently), ID cards, meal cards, and instructions.

Here, I have to give a quick tip of the hat to coincidence (or fate, or whatever you want to call it). My Marshall Brief adviser happened to be no other than Yohanna, and my roommate is, wait for it, Roger. Even all the way out here, I am getting a nice touch of home.
Me pointing at Harkness Tower.
Jonathan Edwards College, our residential college.


The local friendly squirrel.
The Jonathan Edwards Theatre.
I explored a bit of our dormitories with Roger and a suitemate we met. It is rather cozy here, with a nice common room and several bedrooms for a total of seven residents. The college itself has interesting amenities underground, everything from a theatre to an art gallery and even a printing press. I also managed to go on a quick tour of the Yale campus, which we missed out on earlier in the week. The tour allowed me the opportunity to get to know some of the kids from Grand Strategies (GS).
Bicentennial Complex and the Commons.
 
Sterling Memorial Library.
Later in the evening, the staff under Dean Coburn-Palo and Director Wittenstein conducted an introduction to the Grand Strategies program at the Great Hall of Jonathan Edwards College. They welcomed all of us and introduced the instructors and program officials, as well as stated that the purpose of the program was to put everything "humanly possible" in front of us and see where we take it.

After a nice dinner, Dean Coburn-Palo walked us to a theatre to watch a documentary and conducted a discussion afterwards. It was a great insight on how people thought, and I myself was really aching to be called sometime during the discussion to speak.

Today has been long, and honestly, arduous. But it's nothing I can't handle, and after being here for only 12 hours, I can say for certain that this is exactly where I want to be. I couldn't have chosen a better program.

No comments:

Post a Comment