Monday, July 23, 2012

On to the Next!

Today will be my second and last day in Washington D.C. Its actually kind of sad that we have to leave this place after becoming so accustomed to the area. We started the day early in order to get the most out of it. 

Chilling with the president's... lawn. 

We headed on towards Georgetown University by foot. It wasn't too far of a walk but the lack of food made the conditions worse. When we arrived at Georgetown, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the architecture. We had an information session and tour that lasted about an hour long. Afterwards we caught a shuttle and went straight to the Museum of American History and the National Archives. I was able to see the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Constitution! I find it amazing that after so many years of hearing and reading about these national documents, I get to see it with my very own eyes. It's still hard to believe and I feel as if my brain hasn't processed it yet. I never knew that they were available for the public to see. I always imagined that it was much more isolated and secretive. After that, time was closing in on us, so we rushed on back to the hotel.

The wine was delicous with the steak.
Just kidding.
We arrived at 1789, a fine and lovely restaurant, around 6:15 p.m. Soon after, all the guests arrived and we began the dinner. Here I met several undergraduate and graduate students from Georgetown. The international studies offered there were interesting. A concentration of that major was in the environmental field. Little did I know, this restaurant was renown in D.C. I realized that after someone mentioned that the prime minister of Haiti was just up the stairs from us. He had his body guards blocking the entrance to his VIP room and secret service agents outside the restaurant along with two patrol cops. How cool was it to be able to eat literally 15 feet away from him? By the end of the dinner, my stomach was filled way beyond its capacity.

I would say my trip in D.C has been lovely. I certainly would like to come back here again but not during the summer! The whole day was packed with fun things to do and the night ended with a bang. I really should be sleeping but it's still hard to adjust my sleep patterns. Leaving D.C  on to the next!






2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear y'all had an awesome time in DC! Hope you stay in touch, especially if you decide to apply to Georgetown. You can email me at avk26@georgetown.edu.
    - Vail

    ReplyDelete