Monday, July 23, 2012

This is just the beginning...?

I couldn't sleep last night. I haven't slept in the past few nights. Whether it is due to my own scheduling or my growing anticipation over Yale, I couldn't sleep. Then I boarded the flight and sleep became far too enticing.
We prepare for the five-hour trek East.
Nevertheless, I am overwhelmed with the fact that I am currently here, in the Georgetown Holiday Inn in Washington, D.C., blogging about my first day on the trip. We certainly did not waste any time. There was much nostalgia here -- my very first trip away from home and from my parents was a one-week program to Washington. I had not been here for five years. That is why I felt a strange sense of overwhelming nostalgia.


But I am getting ahead of myself. We arrived in El Cerrito today, weary from endless reams of text and strategy, but ready to take on Yale. Don wished each of us well and sent us out.

My first real Turkish food.
After a few stopovers, passing out and waking up only to pass out more, we finally made our way to Washington, D.C. Mr. Litvin immediately found us a cab to the hotel, and we were on our way.
Roger and I in front of one of the many inscriptions on the World War II memorial.
Once we got to the hotel, we dropped our bags and began to explore the area. Mr. Litvin's brother-in-law had worked for the State Department, allowing Mr. Litvin to have strong familiarity with the area. He brought us to several of the sights around the National Mall, including the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean Memorial, the National Archives, and the Capitol.
The Martin Luther King Jr. looks out over the waters of Washington.

The perfect reflection of the Washington Monument in what is left of the reflecting pool.
Roger and I took great pictures of a bird at sunset.
Having traversed the majority of the mall, we finally decided to relax for a bit and find the nearest eatery. Getting food was the hardest thing to do, as food venues were not common around the mall. We finally found a great barbeque place around the area, and we had a brilliant dinner outside in the night.

It's strange to be here, re-living memories and creating new, great ones. I had absolutely no idea how this trip was going to start, and I have to say, looking back at it, it was a wonderful adventure. It served as a nice introduction to our traveling week, and as a moment of happiness before the hard work really begins.

If this is just the beginning, I can't wait to see what happens next.
A very artsy photo of the Capitol.

No comments:

Post a Comment