Sunday, July 29, 2012

We Now Begin

Today was the first day of the Yale's Grand Strategies course. We moved into the dorms around 11 a.m. and settled down. I was eager to find out who was going to be my new roommate. Strangely enough, I found out that Jobel, one of my cohorts, was my roommate. It isn't exactly what I was anticipating but at the same time it isn't a bad thing. We are in a suite that has five total bedrooms and accommodates 7 people. I do not have the experience of meeting a new roommate but there are plenty of people in my suite to meet and befriend.
Jonathan Edwards

The first thing I did here was my laundry. While I was letting my clothes wash and dry, I went to lunch with my cohorts and a few other Grand Strategies students. The people here are very friendly and this creates a warm environment. After I finished my lunch I went to the dining hall and met up with everyone else. Here we had our orientation and this was initiated with speeches that the dean and the director gave. We were introduced to the staff and faculty members of the Grand Strategies program. I found it interesting that all of our instructors were very accomplished and successful in many areas of education.


The cafeteria here didn’t have much food options but otherwise it was pretty good. Once dinner was finished, we met up with our Marshall Brief instructors and took a tour around the boundaries of which we aren’t supposed to cross. This isn’t a problem since the area encompasses several stores. I did not find out what topic my Marshall Brief will be on but I was able to meet my group. There are a total of 10 students in my group. I can only begin to imagine the discord during the making of the Marshall Brief but I have no doubt we will excel.
Dining Hall

My Marshall Brief Group


Once we finished walking around the boundaries, we immediately went to a building to learn about the rules and regulations. The rules were straightforward and reasonable. After this, people had the choice to go rest at the dorm if necessary or go to the theater and watch a documentary. The Fog of War is a documentary on the life of the U.S Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara. Once the documentary was completed, we discussed topics like the bombing of Japan during WW2 and how we would react to certain scenarios if we were the president.

The dormitories, dinners, and lectures make it feel as if I’m already in college. I can tell that the experiences to be made here will certainly prepare me for college. I’m surrounded by students that are at the top of the tier and this inspires me to do well. Coming here, I thought I would’ve been a lot more anxious but that wasn’t the case. The time spent in the east coast has made me realize that I should trust my abilities and if I try my best, I’ll be performing just as well as most people. The next two weeks will be intense, rigorous, and challenging. I’ll be looking forward to this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment